Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bowker/Starr - Introduction

My first experience with a Bowker book was Memory Practices in the Sciences, which was a rather painful experience. Although informative, the book was difficult to read, and not always interesting. The introduction to Sorting Things Out, is very different: It was fun to read (especially the X-Files intro) and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Maybe a reason that it is more interesting is that the subject matter is largely about historical medical classification. For me at least, death and disease is morbidly more interesting than the documentary practices of geologists that was featured in Memory Practices. Perhaps another his co-author, Starr, adds a writing style that is more approachable. I'm looking forward to the rest of this book.

As a side note, I'm kind of hoping that there is a little more discussion about the historical death of the classification 'death by wolf.'

No comments: